Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Romantic Era Hair Styles


     Let me start by reminding my readers ( if I have any) that I am not a professional costumer, nor am I an expert in historical costuming or costuming in general. These are my drawn-out musings and ponderings. Now to the post...

     The Romantic era was notorious for its extreme hair styles. Curls, braids, loops, and twists were manipulated and decorated in a manner of ways. The were big, they were loud, and they defied the rules of gravity. I've been trying to figure out how to replicate these styles.

The Apollo Knot(s): that big bunny-ears thing....often accompanied by forehead curls
Portrait of a Lady miniature on ivory, 1832 by Carl Von Saar 
Evening dress, 1827 France, La Reunion
On Helena Bonham Carter in Les Mis
The Turban: or other weird head devices... Just wrap that stuff around your head.

Evening dresses, 1830

On Lady Harriet in Wives & Daughters
   
February, 1831
     The Hats: (just curl up your bangs, plop on a bonnet and you're done!)

1830
 
1827

Late Romantic: these ones are pretty relaxed. Soft curls and modest buns.

1838 
1838

1841 Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaievna 

     And that's not even the beginning of it! There are so many different styles out there for this period!
But how do we replicate this? I'm still trying to figure that out. I found a few costumers who shared their creations on the internet. Some are just result pictures and some have tips and tricks:

This lady made use of her own hair as well as false pieces:
http://fashionephemera.blogspot.com/2011/12/1830s-wig.html

This one shows you how they made a base for the Apollo Knot:    
http://labricoleuse.livejournal.com/116796.html?thread=451900

A very talented Deviant Artist:
http://ladycafelfenlake.deviantart.com/art/1830-s-extreme-hairdo-252544195

A blogger:
http://madamemodiste.blogspot.com/2011/03/1830s.html

If you're going for a Turban look: it looks like this Regency look could also work for Romantic with some fiddling.
http://americanduchess.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-tie-regency-turban.html


     Most Romantic styles (original or reproduction) use fake or added hair pieces. The curls won't be too hard to find out there, but some hair pieces you have to create on your own. But how? I'm not quite sure...
Some theories:
-Fake/extra hair bent over buckram loops and attached with hair pins.
     In The Young Victoria, you can see a pale material inside the Apollo knots of royal ladies. There is scene later on showing the knots actually being unpinned from their buns.

Look at her bun. Doesn't that look like buckram or something?
-Starched hair loops.
     Like how people starch their shirts, collars, and petticoats to make them stiff.
-Wire woven into braid loops.
     Millinery wire, perhaps?
   
    Well, that's my rant. I'll be trying to make my own hair pieces soon enough. Does anyone else have ideas or tips for re-creating Romantic Era styles?

Over and out. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been considering wire supports, and buckram like labricoleuse's post. I figure I can slap some flowers or something over any awkward joins. The apollo's knots will certainly be fake hair when I do mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short Haircuts I do believe this really is an informative article in fact it is very helpful and also proficient. as a result, I would really like for you to many thanks for your attempts you earn in writing that carefully thread.

    ReplyDelete