Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Summer Deco Dress #3: Complete!


     I finished my 3rd Summer Deco dress just in time for my birthday and the June Gaskell Ball! It was a grand time. The ball and the dress were a success. A little informal group of us decided to forgoe the Gaskell Ball's usual giant hoop-era style and opted instead for 1930's. It was an elegant change of pace.


Monica, Sam, Cassandra, me, Henry, and Kaila!
Everyone looked awesome! Especially Sam's vintage blazer!

With Monica (in a gorgeous vintage piece) and Natalie
(who is wearing her perfect Titanic gown that she created herself).
photo credit: Kim Y.
     As you can see, I chose a different fabric than my original plan for dark blue velvet. Due to $ and time constraints, I chose a very different fabric. A purple satin that belonged to my grandmother before I was born. It has been sitting in my stash for several years. I was hesitant to use it, because of it's history and emotional value to me. My grandmother had intended it for a different dress. But now I feel good about the choice. I think my grandmother would be happy and proud to see me in her fabric. And it makes me happy to have her with me in this way.
     The construction was pretty simple, yet did have to be changed a bit from the mockup. There were a couple mistakes that I managed to deal with and I'm very happy with the result. The yoke took some interesting fiddling!

Cutting out the bodice.

Pinning madness on the yoke!!!

A better photo of the front. 
     I am very happy with how the whole thing turned out! It's definitely going to Costume College with me!
And one more pic....

Aaah! My friends are the best.


3 comments: